5 BOOKS I'VE READ #1

Featuring Zoella's book, two John Green numbers and super popular Lena Dunham's Not That Kind Of Girl.


Let's just set the record straight: I ain't no book expert. I love books, I love reading them, but I'm definitely not qualified to review them. Anyway, I thought I'd fill you in on a few books I've read recently, reducing it purely to a 'I'd recommend it to you or not' kinda thing. You may have noticed that little #1 up there and yes, it means that I'd like to do more of this in the future. I just like reading, ok?

001. Girl Online // Zoe Sugg » Ok, please keep in mind I love Zoe. She was the first ever YouTuber I subscribed to and the one who made me discover the world of blogging, and that's why I was so let down by this book. First of all, there's the thing about the use of a ghost writer. Obviously it was used and obviously it was wrong: I think it's ok when the author doesn't want to be an author, like a beauty blogger writing a guide or a actor their biography, I don't buy the book because I think their writing is good, I'm just interested in the content. But she published a novel and claimed herself as an author, though she basically just had the idea. I mean, a writer needs to write, it's simple. Second thing, the plot is basically the same as 'I Heart New York'. Honestly it's so similar I don't know why Lindsey Kelk still hasn't sued her. The funny thing is that Zoella herself said she loved the book, and then published something that is its plain copy. Lastly, the book is not good. Maybe there are a few good ideas here and there but they aren't developed as they needed and to think it outsold HP breaks my heart. As someone who loves books and writing I feel offended by Girl Online. I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me, but please remember I'm not a hater, I'm just very very sad and crestfallen.
Worth A Read? » Nope.

002. Not That Kind Of Girl // Lena Dunham » I said this before and I'll say it again: I. Love. This. Book. I don't even know why I liked it so much, I think it's just very true and honest. It's interesting and touches a large spectrum of topics, including some quite deep ones. I love how it doesn't censorship anything and how it remains funny and smart though all the pages. And don't you worry if you aren't Lena's biggest fan: I've never watched an episode of Girls but I fell in love with this book straight away anyway. Definitely not one for super young readers, but a good good one let me tell ya.
Worth A Read? » Hell yes.

003. Paper Towns // John Green » This was the second book I've read by John Green after TFIOS and I was mainly motivated by the fact that a movie has been made out of it, starring Cara Delevingne and Nat Wolff. Now onto the book: I really liked. I didn't enjoy the ending as much, but I feel like I understand why it has to be like it. I mean, I think it was in the author's will to have an ending that wasn't as good, like it was the whole point of the book.
Worth A Read? » Yup.

004. Looking for Alaska // John Green » I liked it less than Paper Towns. Again, the ending is not the best, but this time I don't get it. I feel like it is a very hasty book, where things happen a little too quickly and not with the right timing. It really caught me by surprise at one point, though, especially as I had just finished Paper Towns.
Worth A Read? » Nah.

005. Shopaholic To The Stars // Sophie Kinsella » I love the Shopaholic series, I think it's one of the best pieces in the chick-lit landscape right now, and this number was good, but not as good. I feel like the author is trying too hard in this one, coming up with things that make you wonder if it's time Becky Brandon (née Bloomwood) puts her credit cards down and leaves the scene. Personally I don't think the topic was exhausted yet, but this book was really trying too hard.
Worth A Read? » Well, if you read the others in the series...

Share:

0 peeps shared their opinion